Thursday, September 13, 2007






















'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all

Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

L' shana tova, goslings. Happy New Year. It's now the year 5768.

So many new beginnings. A new year for the blog. A new year for me (I'm 38!). This year I hope to finally photograph my own vintage novelty prints and post them. Take Arabic classes. Assemble the definitive whistling solos cd. Make a fall coat out of cheap tapestries. Learn to play "Cry Me A River" on the ukulele. I've got a list of projects longer than my arm. It should keep me busy and out of trouble until 5778.

A big and hearty thank you goes out to Ms. FuzzyLizzie, whose blog I enjoy immensely.

Ms. FuzzyLizzie: Thanks so much for your kind words on my bloggerversary post. I just read them today. It's great to know someone is reading and enjoying the novelty prints. I'd love to know which ones you were inspired to buy. And how they worked out for you.

Perhaps you would enjoy this Ode on a Grecian Urn frock. Lovely 40s rayon, excellent condition, square neckline, detailed peplum draped across the front and longer in the back. Yes, yes and yes. I'd like it even more if these urns had lavish pictorals showing, oh I don't know, Oedipus and the Sphinx or Theseus and the Minatour. Or why not Medea killing her children? That one's always good for a laugh. It would be nice if one of these urns was adorned with coffee cups and said "We are happy to serve you."

I never could figure out what Keats meant with those Truth and Beauty lines. Then there's the whole controversy as to who is speaking them. (The poet? The urn?) If truth and beauty are the same thing, then is anything ugly would be untrue, and I know that ain't right. Is the urn an unreliable narrator? Is the urn spewing propaganda? Never trust a ventriloquist or an urn, I always say.

Well, I'm off to eat pomegranates and apples dipped in honey. I have a good feeling about 5768, don't you?

2 Comments:

Blogger fuzzylizzie said...

Actually, it's more like, I saw lots of things to bid on, but actually bought very few of them because I was outbid! But you have given me lots of great prints for which to search. I actually found the Greek windwill skirt in other color, but I'm still searching for that fantactic Renaissance skirt, and for the art gallery print. But the one I really want - the one I can't look at without crying - is the street scene blouse you featured in one of your first posts. By the time I saw it, it was long gone.

Lizzie

4:18 PM  
Blogger samsara said...

Ms. Lizzie,

I'll be on the lookout for something like that street scene for you. That was a little gem indeed. I feel like I saw a circus print somewhere that also used colorful scraps of newsprint, shaped into animals. I'll search my archives.

The Renaissance skirt: I know exactly the one you mean, I could look at that print for days and never get bored. I've never seen anything like it before.

I too am desperate for the art gallery print. In a local thrift store, I found an 80s circle skirt with a reworking of that same print, but in a pastel colorway. Unfortunately the print was blurry, as if only half-remembered. And the skirt was way too small. As most circle skirt tend to be super small.

all the bestest!
Samsara

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home