Friday, August 24, 2007














A lobster on shore leave, look out. Isn't this an adorable sailor dress? Wear it on the town. It's hard to see the lobster applique from the photo, but he's smiling.



I'm gonna watch this movie tonight.

It's directed by Kaizo Hayashi, who made my all-time favorite movie "To Sleep So As To Dream". Yes, that is a mangled bit of Shakespeare, but the film is a luminous black and white surrealist history of silent film in Japan, seen from the point of view of a private detective who is overly fond of hard boiled eggs. The film is mostly silent and painstakingly utilizes outmoded technology as old reel-to-reel tape recorders demand a ransom for a kidnapped movie star. With gentle humor, it is nonetheless tinged with the sorrow of loss. I'd tell you that you must see it, but it's not available anywhere. Not on DVD, not on VHS, not on YouTube, not on 16mm. Not nowhere nohow. That makes my one viewing even more magical.

I'm the only person to write a review of it. That is, in English.

And so, I've got some high hopes for "The Most Terrible Time in My Life", an homage to film noir. My review should be ready by Monday.

Have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home