Thursday, November 09, 2006





















Glorious winter novelty from Posh Girl Vintage.

There are so many things to like about this skirt. The airborne mittens, caps and muffs, the combination of red, indigo and turquoise, the crisp white background. Now to the scene: the scratch marks on the ice and the bare trees in the distance are a delight. The ermine pattern on the ladies’ coats, are a great detail, along with the flapping tails on the gentleman’s red coat. I like the dog, but it is the figure in the red coat who has taken a tumble who wins my heart.

What is so especially marvelous about this print? It is winter-themed without any holiday connotations. How many times have I seen a snowflake drifting across a novelty print and thought: at last, winter can be fun and non-denominational. And how many times have I been crushed to find a reindeer with a goddamn red nose, or a friggin’ angel, or some portly fellow in a red suit. I tell you it is a shande. But this print says to me: winter fun can be for Jews, Hindus and Muslims too. Let’s have a skating party, hug a tree and then drink hot cocoa.

My only quibble is that the skating scene would hang too near my ankles. I’d prefer it up around my knees. I’d pair it with an indigo cardigan, a pair of black and white striped tights, boots and a fuzzy white scarf. It looks like a sturdy rayon that you could even wear skating, if it's not too long on you. Go to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home