Friday, November 17, 2006




















Let us now praise Zelda Kaplan. She’s a one-woman philanthropic organization. She’s a club hopping party girl. She looks gorgeous in her specially tailored outfits in African fabrics that she buys on her travels. And she’s 90, kittens.

See her here, as she appears on Jay Leno and follow her on her travels.

What I love about her style is that she has sourced these beautiful prints herself and knows all about their context. (A lot of people don't realize that traditional African prints mean things and go around with out the slightest notion that they are saying something. Check out this terrific website for descriptions and pictures of fabric that depict Ghanaian proverbs. And yes I know that lots of African wax prints are actually made in Holland and England.) I also like that she manages to wear a hat, glasses and earrings without looking cluttered. She looks so regal you expect a tall lady, but in fact she's rather petite. Being a shortfry myself, I know you've got to have a big battle aura to pull that off.

I want to be Zelda when I grow up. I too am a great humanitarian. I've got style to burn and love dancing with drag queens 'til all hours. Now all I need to do is get hold of a fortune.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home