Tuesday, July 20, 2010



















Someone went to Wonderland and never came back. Just look at these frolicking playing cards on this gorgeous 1950s handkerchief, designed by Pat Prichard and available from Etsy seller Undoneecletic .

Gossiping, gesturing suit cards. Jousting playing cards astride wide-eyed chess horses. I love how the checkered board is suggested in the base of the chess horse on the left. And the expressions on the cards' faces as the 3 of Spades prepares to unseat the grimacing 3 of Hearts. An Alice in Wonderland scene is enacted by the cards that are painting the roses. And I just love the lute-playing heart suit card (4 of hearts?)with an outstretched pink leg. Everywhere is the feeling of movement, the angles of the limbs, the undulations of the little flags, the castle in the distance. The grey trees, the barest of outlines, create a landscape evoking Japanese brush painting. The use of pink as an accent really thrills. I love how this print takes the ideas of Lewis Carroll's creation and runs with them.


As much as I love this print, I can't have it. It's much too lovely to use. And handkerchiefs tend to get used if they are near me. Especially as the thermometer climbs. The heat turns me into character actor Jon Polito, who has appeared in so many films (notably 5 of the Coen Brothers' films)as a portly, pencil-moustached con man or private eye, mopping his sweaty brow with a handkerchief.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Pratishtha Durga said...

What an eccentric, fantastic print! I agree with you. it's much too pretty to use...

3:14 AM  
Blogger samsara said...

Ms. Prati,

So nice to see you here! I have enjoyed seeing photos and reading about your recent journeys on your blog, what fun!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Under Urooba's Umbrella! said...

Are handkerchiefs even meant to be used!?
THEY ARE ALWAYS SO GOSH DARN PRETTY!
So is this one.
And the one my grandma hand-embroidered-----beauty!

6:08 PM  
Blogger samsara said...

Hello Ms. Urooba!

Thanks for checking this out.

What a family treasure you have. I'd love to have a handkerchief embroidered by my grandmother, but unfortunately none of her handiwork has remained in the family.

Ideally I like to have 3 handkerchiefs on me at all times. One for use, one to offer a distraught friend, and another one (preferably with a novelty print) to wave in surrender, bon voyage, celebration, or just in case I need to do some Greek folk dancing.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home