Friday, July 09, 2010


















Men's silk ties with library prints are easily enough found. Over-sized 80s shirts like these, and, at times, vests too can turn up. The first blouse, an Ellen Tracey with a beige background, and the second blouse, is a Pendleton. Unfortunately I am unable to read the spines of the books on either. I really want to know what kind of false library I am wearing. And I definitely want a copy of Don Quixote in there.

In the movie version of my life, I have a library print mini-dress that enables me to blend into an bibliophile environment. I am also an archeologist and a spy, because the film is a 60s spy musical. (Yes, that is an actual film genre, though there is only one film in it: Modesty Blaise starring Monica Vitti, which I recommend heartily. See it right away, the clothes and art direction are thrilling.)

So in the movie version of my life I have a friend who's a lobster. Her name is Dolores and she helps out with the spying. You know, she'll climb up on cafe tables with a microphone and play dead in a bed of lettuce to record a top secret discussion. She also invents new spy technology with her little lobster claws. I recently attempted to explain the movie version of my life to someone at work who looked at me with utter horror. When I said this was only one of my fantasy lives even more horror ensued.

What's so odd about a lobster friend? Poet and essayist Gerard de Nerval supposedly had one as a pet. He is quoted as having said at some point: "Why should a lobster be any more ridiculous than a dog? ...or a cat, or a gazelle, or a lion, or any other animal that one chooses to take for a walk? I have a liking for lobsters. They are peaceful, serious creatures. They know the secrets of the sea, they don't bark, and they don't gnaw upon one's monadic privacy like dogs do. And Goethe had an aversion to dogs, and he wasn't mad."

Perhaps you can do something with these library print shirts, make them into sleeveless dresses or tunics perhaps. The Pendleton is an extra large and perhaps you could use the fabric from the sleeves to add some extra length, or for a matching scarf. You probably have sewing skills. Wear them in whatever fantasy world you wish.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Under Urooba's Umbrella! said...

Those shirts are rather..ahem, interesting. Haha, that is a polite way of me saying that they're not exactly *my flavour of ice-cream*.

But I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion about lobsters as pets.
I'm evil, though, because I eat them, too. *gasp*

3:44 PM  
Blogger fuzzylizzie said...

I actually like the Ellrn Tracy one. Iagree that it would be so much more revealing if the titles could be read. Almost like wearing a tee shirt with a political or sociological statement...

4:57 PM  
Blogger samsara said...

Dear Ms. Urooba, thanks for stopping by. I too eat lobsters, but don't tell Dolores! And shrimp know to run when they see me.

Dear Ms. Fuzzylizzie, nice to see you here. The Ellen Tracey print is more dynamic, with the oxblood colored book spines at an angles and what looks like a globe on some of the shevles.

I would love to have a series of library print A-line dresses with different books featured. Definitely one Dead Language Dress with book spines showing titles in Latin, Ancient Greek, and some Egyptian Hieroglyphics on papyrus. A Magical Realism dress (Marquez, Carpentier, Borges books in a library full of butterflies), and a Banned Book library print dress with Lolita, Lady Chatterley's Lover, Ulysses and others for Banned Books Week (September 25-October 2). I just found out that Toni Morrison's novels are banned in some parts of the country--shocking.

10:24 AM  
Blogger hollyhaha said...

Lobsters are best with drawn butter!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post which is so attractive and informative...

Printed T Shirts

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home