Monday, October 22, 2007

















This fabric is so adorable. I wish the photo was larger and more detailed. Female movie-goers, some with pig tails, some with hats and pocketbooks sit with their ankles crossed waiting for the movie to start as ushers sell popcorn. I love the color combinations, the blue, pink and green hair, along with this complicated repeat pattern that never looks repetative. I love how some of the ladies have kicked off their shoes. I also love what looks like a faux wood-grain squiggles on the backs of the chairs.

This print would work best as a short sleeved blouse with a peter pan collar, or mini dress. Something short, sleeveless and a-line that zips up the front. I can envision a large green plastic circular zipper pull and a smart little collar.

There's only one yard of it though, alas. Now look at this one.

This cute novelty juvenile print manages to combine marionettes with the circus. I love how minimal this print is, how the red half-circles at the bottom are just enough to suggest the backs of chairs for the audience (or perhaps the footlights of the stage?), the simple line drawings of curtains. But there is precious little of this print. It's an apron for you to sew and the instructions are on the fabric itself.

I'd be strongly tempted not to make an apron of it and to retain the instructions on the fabric as part of the print. It would be ideal if there was enough fabric to make a blouse without disrupting the continuity of the instructions and centering the puppets.

In the past I have posted a circus marionette circle skirt, as well as an apron or two. This would be an ideal time to link to myself and remind you, but alas, I still don't know how.

As you well know, I am a sucker for anything circus-themed. After all, these are my people, and though I may sit in a corporate cubicle (not that I post this from work--perish the thought!) I can still feel the sawdust under my feet. Though I love the idea of wearing vintage aprons with pockets, thus achieving a purse-free existence, I cart around too much make-up to give up my bag. Plus the domestic implications of the apron contradict one of the core tenets of my belief system: domesticity is a drag.

Finally, last year I dreamed about fabric with instructions printed on it! Though I wanted Arthur Murray's footprint diagrams to teach dance steps. (Did you know Mr. Murray created the footprint diagrams to teach dance by mail-order? I just love the idea of coming up with interesting solutions to distance learning--as a kid I actually learned to tap dance using a cassette tape course--no visuals at all, only sound! If only I could remember the name of the guy who narrated the tapes.) Or something from the Anarchist Cookbook on how to make explosives. Though that might land you in an orange jumpsuit in Guantanamo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home