Thursday, July 10, 2008

















Jumping Jehosaphat. Not just frogs, but frogs in hats. Vaguely Argentinian hats worn at a jaunty angle. Leaping frogs, toes spread, making ripples on the pond, reeds and cattails astir. Thrillingly unexpected black, white and red colorway. I love how the print lurches around the dress. The red panels and border, and the grain of the linen. I am clutching my heart and sighing. Go and see more for yourself. It's not in pristine condition, but how could you hold that against these frogs?

This is 40's whimsical novelty at its psychedelic, Doctor-Seussical best.

Frogs are one of my mom's obsessions. Come on, mama, let's hear your thoughts on this beauty.

I'd wear this with a very thick red belt and my new white Worishofers. Yep, German nurses' sandals. They've been on my wish list for a coupla years, but I decided, what the hell, why not make all of my dreams come true? My dreams, as it turns out, are fairly modest. The ones that don't involve films crews or jet fuel anyway. Just some comfortable shoes, a day at the beach, some Georgian cheese bread, and tap dancing lessons. Not too much to ask, really.

Now of course I have fantasies, and they run the gamut. For example, I've always wanted to sing Cole Porter songs backed by a full orchestra in a swank supper club like El Morocco. Naturally to do this I'd need a Schiaparelli gown festooned with lobsters and red opera length gloves. That one is gonna take some more work.

The Worishofers are both orthopedic and 40's looking. They go with all my full skirted dresses in particular. They definitely add charm to my 40's inspired late 70's summer dresses. They are super light and quite comfortable and supportive. However, I won't lie to you. There has been a learning curve that involved some blisters and bandaids. But as my friend Rita Z says, the moment when stiff shoes start to yield is one of life's most exquisite pleasures.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pratishtha Durga said...

The frogs are absolutely delightful. Sigh, dreams and fantasies... so many of them...

Mine do involve some major amount of imagination twisting. Yup, they are THAt bizarre.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Pratishtha Durga said...

Hey! No post in a long time!

2:41 AM  
Blogger samsara said...

Dear Ms. Prati,

Thanks so much for checking in on me. Things have been hectic lately, but now I'm back in the saddle.

Your dreams can all come true. Really. Mine always do, just not in the way I hoped.

For example, The Boy From Ipanema, my long lost one, did return to me 6 years later. But not to profess undying love. No, he wanted to be my legal counsel for a upcoming law suit. That's when I realized that I needed to be more specific when I asked the universe for something.

You've got a flexible imagination, Ms. Prati, you can do it.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home