Friday, April 04, 2008





Dreaming of world domination? Why not? Muriel Ryan, designing for the Serbin label, created this nuanced map print.

It's hard to see in this blurry photo, but I was able to enlarge it on ebay to see a nice mix of pale green, yellow, orange and burnt umber. I like that the water has been rendered green rather than blue.

Most map prints have a nautical overlap. I have a cotton shirt-waist dress with ships, compasses, globes and maps of Sumatra on it. Other map prints have an overlap with souvenir prints, or travel prints. But this one stands on its own. Unapologetically.

Here are two more:



A detail from an Escada blouse.



And this Cynthia Rowley skirt are just randomn samplings from ebay today on map-based attire. Alas the photo of this dress printed with the shapes of African nations is too blurry to see much, but it could be a good one too.




Apartment Therapy recently posted this photo of the Doge's residence in Venice to ask, are theme rooms ever okay? Of course many of the minimalists over there are utterly horrified, but since I have a kitchen devoted to velvet paintings of bullfights and plastic grapes, as well as a living room that is supposed to be a forest, obviously my answer is an enthusiastic yes. If only I had a map-themed office space. Then I could really get things done.

What's with all this perusing of Apartment Therapy? I am nesting again.

2 Comments:

Blogger tea said...

Wow! Those map prints are great! Now I'm going to have to hurry and make my map dress to add to your theme. (It was on the back burner.) Thank you for finding me and liking the book dress. :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger samsara said...

Ms. Tea!

I'd love to see your map dress when you get a chance to make it.

That would motivate me to photograph my map dress and post it as well. I am inspired by your dress photos.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home